Tuesday, June 5, 2018

An Organ Recital

Years ago, when our youngest was in grade school, we were invited to the spring concert. I wrote about that awful experience in a newspaper article later posted as a blog titled, The Banned Concert. (Click on Banned Concert)

Much like an elderly woman, when asked, “How are you doing,” responded with an organ recital about her heart and her lungs and her bowels, and most of her other organs; I am about to give you an organ recital about my kidneys.

About 20 years ago I was diagnosed with both kidney disease and diabetes. Some doctors believe both were caused by a bout with lead poisoning I was exposed to a decade and a half before. At the time I was diagnosed with Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis, better known as FSGS. Not that you care, here is the description. FSGS is a rare disease that attacks the kidney’s filtering units (glomeruli) causing serious scarring which leads to permanent kidney damage and even failure. FSGS is one of the causes of a serious condition known as Nephrotic Syndrome. Focal = some, Segmental = sections, Glomerulo = of kidney filters, Sclerosis = are scarred. That was easy, wasn’t it?

My kidneys lasted about 15 years after diagnoses. My nephrologist (kidney doctor) was surprised they lasted more than a year and believed their longevity could be attributed to prayer. For years and years, my kidneys got less and less productive. Finally, on April 1, 2014, (Happy April Fool’s Day) I went on dialysis. Most commonly dialysis is a procedure that involves having large needles inserted in your arm and then you are hooked to the dialyzer and one’s blood is circulated through the machine for around four hours. The entire procedure lasts around five hours.

The average patient leaves dialysis feeling like 15 pounds of homemade sin on a popsicle stick. Usually, a nap is in order and little else than couch time happens for the rest of the day. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have been working full time even after I started dialysis. It has been an interesting challenge. As time and treatments have worn on, on dialysis days I have become more and more “zombified”. I am up and walking but not much is happening. As a detective on the police department I serve said not long ago, “You’re weird when you have dialysis.” That pretty much sums it up.

At 71, I just barely ducked under the upper age requirement to qualify for a kidney transplant. It gets better. I have a matching donor. He is my nephew Tim and we are such a great match that the surgeon told me that I have a greatly reduced risk of rejection. It goes without saying that Tim has moved to the top of my list of favorite nephews. He is an amazing man with as kind of a heart as his father, my big brother, had.

The surgery date has been set. People ask me if I am frightened or anxious. I am not… not for me. I am concerned for Tim. Above all, my prayers are for Tim to come out of this procedure healthy as a horse and experience a rapid recovery.

Keep us in your prayers and I will bore you with the details of my recovery.

Copyright © 2018, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved
Bill McConnell is the Interim Minister at Norwood Christian Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, and is a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press.

He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ Amazon

5 comments:

Dean said...

Glad for your body repair. We will continue to pray and look forward to being bored.

Dean

Emily Ferris said...

Blessings be! We will keep you and Tim in our prayers at Firestone Park Christian Church in Akron!

Maria Jacovino said...

How incredible that you found a match so fast! It takes most people years on dialysis and waiting for the gift of a kidney! I'm so happy for you Pastor Bill! I can say getting a transplant isn't easy after getting a heart in 2015, but it has given me more than 3 years of life that I wouldn't have had! Praying you both heal and recover well! May God hold you both in the palm of His hand! ❤️

David E said...

There are so many happy hearts hearing this news, BY. Add mine. God's bless you and Tim with health, hope and thanksgiving through this time. I'm sure Bob is smiling. I love you.

Beth Kessen said...

Wow...thank for the organ recital and I’m thanking God for your nephew as a great match! Praying for all things good in this procedure and prayers for Tim, for a quick recovery. ( how could we ask for anything less, for your favorite nephew ��!)