Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Isn't She Beautiful

I have begun wondering if I am like an old man I met over 50 years ago.

I have no idea why he did it. Perhaps because I had voiced a desire to become an attorney. For whatever reason my father often took me on house calls he made as an attorney. I loved when he was doing legal work for his brothers and sisters.

They were just plain country folk and my dad was to only “educated” one in the family. And he was smart as a whip. And he was raised in a family of quick-witted smart alecks. They weren’t well educated, but they were smart. So, these visits were always entertaining. On one visit, his sister, who was married to Tom, was complaining about his drinking. “Tom comes in most every evening drunk.” Dad’s scholarly reply was, “Divorce the SOB.” Mable just ignored him and continued complaining. “With all his drinking he can hardly keep a job.” To which my father replied, “Divorce the SOB.” Then Aunt Mable said, “He’s an embarrassment to the family.” Dad’s now expected reply was, “Divorce the SOB.” He was smirking and thoroughly enjoying pulling her chain and punching her buttons. His smile broke out into laughter when Gladys, completely frustrated, yelled, “Divorce the SOB, divorce the SOB. Is that all you can say?”

Some of our visits to other clients weren’t quite so funny. Occasionally, the visits were touching. I remember one in particular. It was a beautiful, sunny, summer Sunday afternoon and my father decided nothing would do but that I accompany him on a business visit. At nine years old, I was not a happy camper. There were dozens of other things I would rather be doing on such a day. After a rather short drive, we pulled up in front of one of the smallest white frame houses I had ever seen. It looked like something out of a fairy tale. Inside I was not too surprised to find two very old Munchkins. A miniature couple that looked to be about a zillion years old.

They were sitting next to each other in rocking chairs holding hands and smiling. They warmly greeted my father whom they obviously loved and respected. It was if royalty had arrived. Dad introduced me to the man. As has been a life-long habit, I failed to remember his name. His face lit up as he turned to his wife and introduced her to me. Then, with an almost mystical look on his face, he turned to me and said, “Isn’t she beautiful.” I said, “Yes”, and thought, “Of course she’s not beautiful, she is an old woman.” And then, even at the tender age of nine, I realized I was observing two people in love. It was something beautiful to behold. It is amazing that that image and conversation have stuck in my mind all these years.

This past Saturday my wife and I had dressed for an afternoon wedding and a birthday party for my oldest sister. We had gotten ready early (Something older people do. That why restaurants have “Early Bird Specials.) and were sitting on the couch together. As is my habit I was just staring at her and thinking, “Isn’t she beautiful.” Suddenly I thought, “Have I become that old man of years ago?” I soon discovered that I hadn’t.

After the wedding, we went to the party. As always, we were warmly welcomed with hugs and kisses. My younger sister gave my wife, Nancy, a big hug and smile and said, “Kae and I were just talking about how much we hate you. (We only tease you if we love you. 😊) You’re still just as beautiful as you were the day we met you thirty years ago.”

It gave me hope. Maybe I'm not that old man (Yet). But I am still thunder-struck in love with my beautiful wife.

Copyright © 2018, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved


Bill McConnell is the Interim Minister at Norwood Christian Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, and is a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press. He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ Amazon

No comments: