Friday, December 1, 2017

The Tax Bill

Congress is “working” on passing a tax reduction measure. (I’m not sure Congress works at anything except being re-elected.) It’s a tough sell because the Republicans can’t seem to get their act together and Democrats are against it just because it was proposed by a Republican administration. I don’t know what the Bill says, but I’m for it. No doubt there will be certain sections of the population who won’t like it. But something is better than nothing.

Intelligent and meaningful dialogue is almost impossible because, when anything is viewed through the lens of a particular political viewpoint, critical thinking becomes impossible. The most important thing is always supporting one’s political position. Until we and our representatives are able to get our heads out of our collective political butts, nothing of meaning and significance is going to get done. And, obviously, the primary motivation of our elected officials is to be re-elected. If you think they are serving to support your best interests and (As all campaign ads claim.) to “fight” for you, I don’t think you have been paying attention.

Here are some reasons for why I think the way I do.
  • It’s my money. I write that phrase on every piece of paper I send the IRS. I worked hard for it and deserve it. The government hasn’t earned any money and lives on what they can take away from us.
  • Paying taxes is not charity. Charity is when I decide to help someone else with my money and CHOOSE to give them a part of my income. And, by the way, I am a very generous person. Taxes are money TAKEN FROM ME. And if I don’t cough it up I am looking at some serious jail time.
  • The government is extremely inept at producing results. Any money kept from the government and used in the private sector is money well invested. Taxation, and expecting the government to produce anything efficiently and effectively, has proven to anyone paying the least bit of attention, to be a pipe dream. I really can’t understand why anyone would believe otherwise.
  • The church has failed miserably in taking care of the hungry, the homeless, struggling single mothers and others in need of a hand up. Instead we have abdicated that responsibility to the Federal Government. And they have, obviously, failed to get the job done.

So, if the Bill presently in the Senate cuts anyone’s taxes, it is a good thing. The less money invested in the government the better.

Copyright © 2017, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved

Bill McConnell is the Interim Minister at Norwood Christian Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, and is a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press.

He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ Amazon

No comments: