Wednesday, November 29, 2017

You Reap What You Sow

One of the advantages of getting old is it allows one to do a lot of observing and that helps put things into perspective. I have been watching the world and, especially, my little corner of the world for many decades. Much has changed and much has stayed the same. The culture has changed dramatically, and science has brought some amazing devices to our daily lives. Human nature hasn’t changed much.

I carry a smartphone on my hip that has hundreds of times more power and capabilities than the mainframe computer that “ran” my college campus. Many years ago, I bought a Commodore 64 computer: the best and fastest of its time. It had 64K of memory and I was assured I would never need anymore. Today, that claim is laughable. Today I can carry a lifetime of photos on a one-inch thumb drive. I can talk face to face with a friend thousands of miles away. I can be in instant communication with all of my children. It is an amazing time to live.

But I remember the “good old days”. Some would say they weren’t all that good, but they would be wrong. Sure, there were some problems and social ills but all in all things were good. Families remained families and had conversations around the dinner table each evening. There were conversations, debates, jokes, laughter, and occasionally someone (Usually me) was sent to their room. Values were taught, expectations were expressed, siblings were bonded, and the parents were in charge. People sat out on their front porches and greeted neighbors by name and conversations were enjoyed.

You’ll notice a reoccurring theme here. We talked to each other. We didn’t text each other. We didn’t Facebook or message each other. We didn’t Snapchat each other. We didn’t talk at each other. We talked TO each other face to face. And I cannot tell you what a difference that made in communication and civility; something sorely needed today.

Everyone didn’t have their faces down in some electronic device. We had our heads up, looking around, enjoying nature and other people and having meaningful conversation not restricted by how many characters we could use. Children were not massively cyber bullied by hundreds of people at a time. Bullying was generally one on one which usually ended when you invited your big brother to join you and you kicked the bully’s ass. Sports were different then. You made the team when you were good enough at the sport to be chosen to play. You got a trophy when you WON. When you lost, you were motivated to go back, practice more and get better at the sport so, next time, you could win.

I am so sad for my grandchildren that these days will be their good old days. My dad told me of his childhood and I could tell he was sadden that I would not experience the things he experienced. Most of his growing up years they did not have electricity and really didn’t miss it. He did his school work by kerosene lamps. They warmed their house with a wood stove. His mother cooked some large and fabulous meals on a wood burning range. He learned a great work ethic by working on the family farm. He enjoyed his free time wandering the ridges and valleys around their farm and hunted rabbits for pocket money. He and his friends spent much of their spare time hanging out together, hunting and fishing, swimming in the Licking River and listening to the stories the old folks told. And from them he learned the art of storytelling. From my dad I learned the art of storytelling but have been unable to share that with my children.

We took the Bible and prayer and high expectations out of school and dumbed things down and then we wonder why we have the problems we have today. Those are not the only causes of the chaos we are experiencing, but it surely a part of the mix. People were not exemplary Christians back in the day, but at least we were exposed to the Word of God and prayer and they seemed to help. People were encouraged to excel, to work hard, to show up on time, carry on intelligent conversations and take some lumps. Parents didn’t make it a full-time job to run interference and smooth the path for their children.

We have produced a couple of generations of adults (Not all) who can’t seem to make it to work on time, are deeply offended if their work is criticized, are amazed if they are asked to work a full 40 hours per week, need “safe zones” so they can hide from anyone who might have the audacity to challenging their thinking. That is what, 50 years ago, we went to college to experience. They don’t know how to carry on a lucid conversation or debate a point. They only talk to people who agree with them.

We seem surprised at how things are working out. The Apostle Paul said it clearly when he said, “Do not be deceived and deluded and misled; God will not allow Himself to be sneered at (scorned, disdained, or mocked by mere pretensions or professions, or by His precepts being set aside.) [He inevitably deludes himself who attempts to delude God.] For whatever a man sows, that and that only is what he will reap.” (Galatians 6:7 (AMP)) Unfortunately, we have done most of the things Paul listed. We have scorned, disdained, mocked God and set aside His precepts and then wonder what in the hell happened. We have sown a Godless worldview and we are reaping the results.

I realize that I look at the world through the lens of Christianity but during my education, I was made well aware of the philosophy/religion of Humanism/Materialism; which is the basic philosophy that undergirds our educational system. It has some very appealing ideas and concepts but, unfortunately, they are not producing what the Humanists expected. Most people who go through our educational system don’t even know they are adhering to humanism. They think it is the only way to think. Christians have sadly failed at presenting Christianity as a worldview instead of just another simplistic religion. If we would people would begin to realize it is the worldview that makes sense.

Perhaps, as we reap what we have sown, we may have the good sense to sow again. Possibly, this time with a different bag of seeds.

Copyright © 2017, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved

Bill McConnell is the Interim Minister at Norwood Christian Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, and is a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press.

He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ Amazon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I couldn’t have said it any better Bill. I tell people all the time it’s a shame how no one takes the time to visit one another. I really hate going out to eat and I see a couple sitting across from each other with their noses in their phone instead of spending quality time together.
Electronics has become an addiction that interferes with spending time in person.
When I go out to spend time with a friend my phone is on silent, in my purse and my family is told not to call me unless it’s an emergency. I rarely bring my phone out in the open unless it’s absolutely necessary. I have friends and family who never call or come over unless it’s a special occasion which is a rarity these days.
Instead of getting a phone call on my birthday from family singing Happy Birthday, I get a text message.
I’ve caught myself falling into the electronic trap and made up my mind I wasn’t going to allow it to happen again because friends and family are important to me.
Thanks for sharing this Bill! Once again you have hit home with me.