Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Ohio Plates

Yesterday I changed the license plates on my car.

I took off the Tennessee plates and popped on the Ohio plates. No big deal. Well, maybe a medium sized deal. I have trouble putting Ohio plates on my car and I have been trying to figure out why.

Part of the problem is that I am a native of Kentucky. Being adjoining states, I spent most of my growing up years making fun of people from Ohio. And they returned the favor. That’s just what you do. When I lived in Iowa we told Missouri and Minnesota jokes. In Tennessee we told Arkansas and Mississippi jokes. In Ohio we tell Kentucky and Indiana jokes.

For example: “What is the number one pickup line in Indiana?” “Nice tooth.” My favorite Ohio/Kentucky joke is: “Did you hear that a Kentucky pickup truck went off the bridge over the Ohio River connecting Ohio and Kentucky? Four out of six of the truck’s passengers drown. They were riding in the back and couldn’t get the tailgate down in time.” So, it wasn’t that I didn’t like Ohio; it was just that I had spent my younger life making fun of Ohio. So I didn’t want to drive a car that advertized the fact that I was an Ohio resident.

I had pretty much gotten over that problem, having lived in Ohio for over 20 years. But then I moved to Tennessee, bought a new car and tagged it with Tennessee plates. I ended up living in Memphis, Tennessee, for almost 3 years. And I loved living in Memphis. I enjoyed the culture of a southern city with much musical and good food history. Talented musicians were everywhere so I was able to hear lots of great music. The worship teams at the church I served (Lindenwood Christian Church) in Midtown Memphis were amazing – both traditional and contemporary. And then there about a zillion awesome restaurants available for meals. I was in heaven.

But the main reason I didn’t want to change plates was because to do so would be the last physical thing I would to sever ties with Tennessee and my friends. I knew we would always be friends; but it would also never be the same again. The folks at the church were some of the best ever. Intelligent, fun, kind and interesting; they were just great to be with. For example:

Morgan Parks: my associate minster, tour guide, lunch companion, provider of a family on loan and my best friend.

Cindy and Carol: support staff, constant source of entertainment, fun to be with, my best source of information, providers of wonderful smiles.

Phil, David, Chris and Courtney: Ministerial/program staff, good people, fun to hang with, psychotic IN A REALLY GOOD WAY, made for great and laugh filled staff meetings, and were hard working and loyal.

And then there are church members too many to mention. When Bob and I met we instantly bonded because we each spotted a kindred spirit. Harold and Sarah we the best friends and neighbors a guy could hope for. I had three of the most wonderful Board Chairs while I was at Lindenwood; smart, hardworking and very intelligent. Harold and Joe are retired ministers in the congregation and two amazing guys who were always there for me. Connie is hilarious and tended to think like me, which I found interesting and a little disconcerting. Anna, the chair of the Elders, who became a true spiritual sister. There were many who allowed me into their homes and their families: Cyndy and Harold, Morgan and the girls, John, Jeri and Megan, Bill and Ann Morris and others. And dozens of just wonderful friends: Karlyn and Nancy, Teresa, Joe, Kevin (He’s another whole blog J) and Beth, Ryan, Davey, Carolyn, Gene, Jonas, Ken, Charlie, Clay, Wayne, Herb and Beth, Carter, Sally, Chuck, Terry, Mike, Michelle, Brian and Emily and Lela and Steve and more.

What a wonderful group of people.

And they are why it was difficult to change my car tags.


Bill McConnell is the Interim Minister at Norwood Christian Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, and is a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press.

He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ Amazon

No comments: