Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Avoiding Discomfort

One of my favorite songs ever is “Comfortably Numb” by Pink Floyd. To me, it speaks powerfully into one of the greatest problems we face. As the song says, we would do almost anything to remain comfortable; even if that means we must numb ourselves and thus miss out on much of the depth and power and possibilities and wonderful nuances of life. I was thinking about this as I am living through another winter in Memphis.


This winter I have been watching the good people of Memphis react to the possibility of bad weather. As a person who spent many years digging through winter in central Iowa and then in central Illinois, I try to keep in mind that these people rarely, if ever, experience a significant snow fall. By that I mean, when we talk about bad weather I just smile instead of snickering.
It has not been nearly as temperate this winter as last winter. We haven’t really had any bad weather but the local weather people have, several times, gleefully predicted cold, ice and snow. So far, here in central Memphis (Mid-town) where I live, we have had a total of ¼ inch of snow. (Yes, I measured it.) But every prediction brings on a low grade panic. Activities are cancelled. Grocery stores are invaded and emptied. People call in sick for work. Memphians hunker down for the invasion of the “White Death.”
Having lived in small towns most of my adult life, I have seen these fear based responses many times. Over the years I have met several people who insist on staying in their small town. I don’t just mean they continue to live in that town; they refuse to venture out of their town. They won’t go to the nearest large town or city because it is unfamiliar territory and it makes them uncomfortable. There is too much traffic; too many people; they don’t know where to find things; something bad may happen to them. I am amazed by how many decisions we all make that are couched in and motivated by fear.
Not only do we seem to fear things that may kill us, we seem to fear anything that will bring us a change; a challenge; possible growth; discomfort. Many in our culture go to extremes to avoid any discomfort in their lives. At the first sign of discomfort we stop what we are doing and retreat back into our famous comfort zone. I am reminded of my days of playing sports. Many, if not all, of our practices were uncomfortable. (That was a huge understatement.) Not once did I hear a coach say, “Gee, fellas, you look a little uncomfortable. Why don’t we take a break? Better yet, let’s just go home.” Didn’t happen. Instead I heard things like: “Do it again until you get it right.” “No pain, no gain.” “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” “Quitters never win.” Comfort was never a part of the discussion.
When one understands that fear is the opposite of faith, we start to realize that fear is never a good reason to make any decision. Now, I am not suggesting that we make obviously stupid choices and put us in terribly dangerous situations. I am from Kentucky where the most often repeated last words are, “Watch this.” The question I am asking is, “Are a majority of your decisions based on an outcome you fear?” And there is an excellent possibility that what you fear will not happen. Much like the weather forecasts, it has been said that most of the things we have feared never happened. Do you believe that, as you invite God into all of the decisions of your life, you can begin to expect positive outcomes? Faith instead of fear. They may not be “comfortable” outcomes, but they may be Godly outcomes. They may not be easy, but they will be healthy.
I have heard it said that we move forward in life when chasing meaning overcomes our avoidance of discomfort. I guess that, on a certain level, sums up the Christian life. God has called us to live lives of meaning; of significance. We will never do that if our most important goal is our own comfort. God didn’t create us and call us to be comfortable. He made us and calls us to be impactful – to live lives of significance. It is my theory that we will never be where God wants us to be, doing what God wants us to be doing, if we are in our comfort zone.
Copyright © 2014, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserve



No comments: