Thursday, October 22, 2020

Be Prepared

As a child, while a third-grader at Worthington School, I spent a few months as a Cub Scout. My parents thought the program might help me with my introversion and accompanying socials challenges. Unfortunately, my time in the Scouts was cut short. An accusation by my Den Mother (Trumped up charges of consistent use of inappropriate language. I think her words were: “He cusses like a sailor”.) She was, unfortunately, believed and I unceremoniously received a dishonorable discharge from the Cub Scouts. Few boys have that on their “Permanent Record.”

Several years later the Boy Scouts and I reconnected. While a Seminary student looking for a summer job my Pastor hooked me up with a position as a summer camp Chaplain at Camp Covered Bridge in the Old Kentucky Home Council. The first person I met upon arrival at the camp was the Camp Director, Don Craig. Don was a high school history teacher and was the antipathy of a happy camper. He was busy cleaning up the mess from an overflowed toilet in the Administration Building. Our first meeting did not go well. But Don and I became life-long friends. Because of Don’s influence, as an adult, I became involved as a Boy Scout adult leader. I loved watching boys learn new skills and becoming young men.

In the process, I, too, learned many new skills: Knot tying, rappelling. Survival skills, lifesaving, teaching, identifying wildlife, distilling drinking water, advanced first aid, drinking coffee without sugar and cream, and much more. No doubt the best thing I learned was to be prepared. Up until then, I was consistently unprepared – ill-prepared – a procrastinator. I was disorganized and lacking a schedule or a calendar. I was winging it. I failed to show up for classes, often forgot I had a date, (I have no idea why girls went out with me. Maybe because I played baseball and football, dressed well, and generally didn’t smell that bad.) I forgot to go to a party at my house that I had also forgotten to tell my parents about,(My father was not amused,) in college I always pulled several all-nighters during finals week, turned in papers late after being reminded about them as the professor took them up in class, and as a student pastor, arose at 5 am on Sunday to craft my sermons. It was (I was) pitiful.

Now my sermons are finished by Wednesday noon. I rarely miss an appointment – haven’t missed one in decades. I come to meetings on time and with a printed agenda. I plan a yearly schedule of sermons. Now basically I am prepared. Thank you, BSA.

I say all of that because I have an upcoming challenge that I am not prepared for and don’t know how to get prepared for it. I sense that someone close to me is going to ask me to spend a large amount of money on them. Having seven children, such a scenario is not new to me. I have been asked for many things and often said no. Sometimes I have not handled the situation well. One day our youngest daughter asked for something goofy and I replied, “We can’t afford that.” I later learned that was the wrong thing to say. On the following Father’s Day, Jackie gave me $2.50: every penny she had to her name. When I asked her why, she said, “You said you didn’t have any money.” As my heart warmed and I fought the tears, I learned a great lesson. I should have said, “We don’t choose to spend our money that way.” I still have that $2.50. It is a treasure.

Here’s my problem, Take a look at the picture on your right. Take a good look. That is my one-year-old granddaughter. Her name is Vivian. Soon she is going to make a ridiculous request. I can hear it in my head already. It will sound something like, “Papa. Can I have a pony?” Of course, she can’t have a pony. We can’t afford one. We have no place to keep it. Who’s going to feed it? You will lose interest in it and then we are going to have to sell it. I should say, "Of course, you can’t have a pony."

Now, take another look at her picture. First look at her lips, then her nose and then spend several seconds looking deeply into her eyes, and then look back here.

We both know there is no way in the world I am going to say “No” to that face. I am much more likely to say, “Sure, honey, I’ll buy a pony, a farm to keep it on, and build a little barn for it.”

I am NOT PREPARED! I need some help here.

Copyright © 2020, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved

Bill McConnell is an Interim Minister, a Church Transformation consultant, and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press. He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ Amazon author page 

1 comment:

Pastor Dean said...

Be creative. There is the basement--don't need no farm. Or, buy a big dog and call it a horse with a hormonal problem. Or punt.