Thursday, November 14, 2019

Church Shopping

In 45+ years of pastoring, I have spoken to many visitors in our worship services who informed me they were church shopping. I really didn’t appreciate the term. It sounded too “consumerish” for me. What I heard was, “We are looking for a church where our needs are met and we are made to feel comfortable. There needs to be convenient parking, a quality nursery for our little ones, programs for our older kids and the sermons need to be, short, entertaining and stress-free.” One day a fellow firefighter told he was attending a certain, well-known church in the area because the pastor commenced his sermons with 10 minutes of stand-up comedy. I’ll admit that I often say funny things during my sermons. I don’t plan to, it just pops out – it is who I am. But my humor is not the point of the sermon. They seem to be seeking a comfortable Christianity with a generous, problem-solving God. In my view, a consumer Christian looks like this. (Click for video)

Now my wife and I are looking for a church home (church shopping). So far, the results have been disappointing. I guess we could be called consumer Christians, too. But I’m pretty sure our “Shopping List” is unique. At least I haven’t heard of anyone else using one like it. Before I share my list, allow me to share some background information that may help make the list more understandable.

I grew up in the church. It was a nice church filled with nice people. I made many friends, but none of them was named Jesus. After seventeen years of attending worship services, Sunday school, youth group, and youth retreats, I went off to college without God. I wasn’t rebelling against my upbringing, I was just clueless about God. Who God is and what He is like was a mystery to me. It never occurred to me to read the Bible or pray before I made a decision. God was just not on my radar.

While in college my older brother shared with me a different look at Christianity, one I had never heard before. I believed there was a God, but I was sure He was pretty ticked. The only way I could please Him was to follow His rules, and that wasn’t happening. I envisioned God as a celestial killjoy, waiting to catch me having fun and telling me to stop it. All He had in mind for me was to make sure I had no fun.

Much like angry parents, God was to be avoided. Brother Bob explained to me that God, in fact, loves me. My sin had created a barrier between me and God which God wiped away through the death and resurrection of His son, Jesus Christ, And now I can have a relationship with Jesus. Thus, Christianity is not a religion but a relationship with God. That changed everything for me. It was the beginning of my journey to know God and to allow God to know me better.

The next experience that impacted what I am looking for in a church, happened while I was attending seminary. In the spring semester of 1970, a revival broke out. When I say Revival I mean, instead of being a special series of sermons preached to motivate church members, this was a spontaneous outpouring of the Holy Spirit. It was amazing and life-changing. I saw and experienced first hand the presence and power of the Spirit of God. I saw peoples’ hearts changed, others physically healed, and others emotionally healed. These were people I knew and thus knew their changes and healings were real. As Tommy Boy would say, “That’s going to leave a mark.” (Click for video) And it did. I could not deny what I had seen and experienced. (Worth watching.)

It was during my time serving Beargrass Christian Church as Youth Minister in the early 70s that God showed up again. I started that ministry with 12 high schoolers that had just returned from Expo 72, and they were on fire for God. We prayed together, we worshipped together, we studied the Word together, we hung out together, and we believed together. And God powerfully invaded our space. It was awesome and life-changing, and some of those young people, who contacted me later in life, told me it ruined them for church. I knew just what they meant. When the group grew to 150, other youth leaders in the Louisville area asked me my secret. I had no secret or plan. Just go after God with all you have and hide in the bushes and watch. All I knew was that God showed.

The last time I saw God show up in power, love and answered prayer was the last church I pastored.  By then I had finally discovered “the secret” of leading a church into the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Don’t think I’m smart because it is so simple. The secret is: pray for the church; preach from the Bible so the people fall in love with their Father God; give people opportunities to grow and encourage them to take advantage of those opportunities; only allow spiritually growing people in leadership positions and them get out of God’s way. It is scary, but fun. One never knows what God may do, but it will be good.

So, we are church shopping and I am doing it encumbered with all of my amazing experiences. It sure makes looking for a church difficult. We’re not looking for “the average church”, where one must muscle one’s way in. Where worship is made up of three lifelessly sung hymns or praise songs, a short non-challenging sermon or a message on politics (Like, I don’t hear enough about that all week and the government is going to save us – remember one of the world’s greatest lies, I’m from the government and I’m here to help.), confined within an order of service that God is not invited to interrupt. Where the “Plan for Discipleship” is made up of a couple of poorly attended Sunday school classes and a mid-week Bible Study led by the pastor. Where missions consist of giving money so someone else can go do mission work for us.

So, here is my shopping list:
  • Vibrant worship centered on glorifying God: God Is GLORIFIED; Christ is EXALTED; The Holy Spirit HAS THE FREEDOM TO MINISTER; The Believer IS ENCOURAGED IN HEART AND MIND; The Unbeliever is DRAWN TO CHRIST).
  • Ministries led and supported by the church’s laity.
  • A clearly understandable system of discipleship that leads to individual spiritual growth.
  • High expectations of member’s participation in a healthy small group.
  • A loving and welcoming atmosphere for ALL who attend, with as many barriers as possible to newcomers removed.

If you know of such a church, save me some time and tell me where it is.

Copyright © 2019, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved

Bill McConnell is an Interim Minister, a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press. He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ Amazon author page

No comments: