Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Cultivating a Culture of Irresponsibility – Part 1


One of the most interesting parts of being a pastor is getting to see the negative outcomes of public policy and cultural shifts close-up and personal. One great example that comes to mind is Ted.

Often, in days gone by, most small towns had a town drunk: much like Otis on The Andy Griffith Show. In Harrison, we had a town drunk. His name was Ted. All the pastors fondly referred to him as Ted the Town Drunk. Ted dropped in several times a week to entertain me and treat me as if I were his personal ATM machine.

One day, Ted dropped in looking for some money. I suggested he work for it. (Thinking that suggestion would run him off.) That was my first mistake. Surprisingly, he was all over it. My second mistake was to suggest he trim the shrubs in front of the office. I immediately repented and took back my offer. He loved the idea and begged me to let him do it. Foolishly, I finally gave in. During lunch, I went home and picked up my hedge clippers and heavy-duty orange extension cord.

I insisted on giving him a lesson before he began. Ted was deeply offended. Lesson finished, out the door he went, tools in hand and a smile on his face. He was going to show me I was wrong and he knew what he was doing. He was wrong.

Ted had not been “working” on the shrubs for more than five minutes when all of the lights in the office unit dimmed for a few seconds. Everyone in the office turned, glared at me and waited. I counted. It took Ted 90 seconds to come back through the door, trimmer in hand, with a significant part of the cord missing. He looked at me and slurred out, “The trimmer cut the cord.” I was both angry and amused. I replied, “No, you cut the cord.” But Ted insisted that the Clippers had cut the cord.

My mind filled with things I had learned about Ted. And suddenly I realized that irresponsibility was at the heart of Ted’s rather dysfunctional life. He was likable, funny, smart and interesting. But he was irresponsible, and it was ruining his life. He was convinced that nothing that happened in his life was his fault. He sounded like the prisoners I worked within the prison in LaGrange, Kentucky. Not one of them was guilty and all had been terribly treated by the people in their lives. Everything bad that had happened to them was someone else’s fault.

Part of this cultural shift I have observed in people like Ted is the idea that “I have the right to be irresponsible but you have no right to hold me accountable.” If you attempt to hold me responsible you are mean, or judgmental, or unloving, or insensitive to my plight, or unloving, If one has the gall to be honest or blunt, he or she is often silenced by being called out as mean or racist. Since I am consistently both blunt and honest, I am often labeled mean, or worse. Such a label doesn’t bother me for a couple of reasons. First, if you really know me, you know better. Secondly, to be honest, I don’t really care what strangers think of me.

My studies and life experiences and observations tell me this shift began in the 1960s. As a child of the ’60s, my mantra was,: “I can do my own thing and it is none of your business.” It sounded good to me. Unfortunately, it is a completely unchristian. Because we are a part of a community, we are responsible for helping one another live full, happy, healthy lives.
 So watch yourselves. If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them.” (Luke 17:3-4)
“In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.”  (2 Timothy 4:1-3)
“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.” (Matthew 18:15-16)
“Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ.” (Galatians 6:1-2)
In our culture, we generally don’t do this. We don’t because we fear being seen as mean. Currently, not being nice is the ultimate sin. In reality, we fail to call people out on poor behavior and unhealthy choices because: We have lost our moral foundation and are convinced that there is no right or wrong; We are afraid they may become angry with us; We fear being labeled mean or self-righteous; We fail to love people enough to tell them the truth.

We also fail those people in our lives by not allowing them to suffer the consequences of their poor choices and decisions. This is especially true of parents. We hover over our children to protect them from any harm and alarm. What looks good on the surface is very detrimental to allowing our children to grow to emotional maturity. We learn from our successes and our failures. Our life lessons will be terribly skewed if we don’t learn from both. Participants trophies are a very bad idea that sounded good and kind and fair. Unfortunately with this “kind” approach, kids don’t learn how to win with grace or lose with grace. Winning and losing are tools to help us in growing to maturity.

That is one of the reasons that older adults find the need for college students to have “safe places” and language police to be pathetic. Suck it up. Get over it. Get over yourself. Lose the self-involved sensitivity. Stop being offended every time someone says something you don’t like or agree with. Please do, because I find you offensive. 😊 If you don’t learn to do these things, life is going to eat you up and spit you out. You will hardly survive life, much less enjoy it.

I am reminded of a mother who sent her son off to college with instructions to deliver to the college President a letter she had written. When the President read the letter the mother had written, he had a better idea of what he was dealing with. The letter read:
“Dear Mr. President, I write this letter to introduce my son and ask you to personally watch over him for me. I understand that while on campus he will be exposed to people who will be smoking, drinking, taking drugs, participating in sex and other immoral behavior. I am deeply concerned about such influences on his life. He is a very innocent and naive young man. Please keep an eye on him. This is his first extended time away from home except for three years in the Marine Corps. Sincerely, Concerned Mother.”
THIS BLOG WILL BE CONTINUED AS WE LOOK AT THE 
CULTURAL IMPACT OF IRRESPONSIBLY.

Copyright © 2019, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved

Bill McConnell is an Interim Minister and is a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press. He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ https://www.amazon.com/William-T.-McConnell/e/B001JSBRXG/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

No comments: