Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Transplant Tales: Team McConnell

Finally, all of the tests are completed, thank God. I surprised everyone, including myself, to find out that I am basically very healthy. The next step is to find a donor.

There are two kinds of donors available: a live donor and a cadaver donor. Both kinds of donors are in short supply. Unfortunately, in our present heroin epidemic, cadaver donors are more commonly available than ever. Perhaps you have noticed the billboards and yard signs requesting a kidney donation. So few kidneys are available that many possible recipients are desperate.

Nancy and I decided that our approach would be to post the need on Facebook once and see what God had to say. Frankly, it seemed that God had little to say on the subject. One friend contacted me but was too old to donate and another tried but we weren’t a match. After that – crickets.  A month or two later I received a Facebook message from my nephew Tim. He is my late brother’s son. He asked if I had found a donor. I informed him that I hadn’t. He asked who to contact. End of the conversation and the waiting continued. More crickets.

THE FAMILY

About a month later the phone rang, it was Tim. He said, “I have some good news and some bad news.” I opted to hear the bad news first. TIM SAID, “The bad news Is, I have to lose 10 pounds. The good news is we are a super perfect match.” I WAS THRILLED, SURPRISED, FRIGHTENED, AND CONFLICTED. The conflict was caused by the fact that Tim was a young father of three beautiful children and an adorable and talented wife and surgery is always fraught with danger and possible negative consequences… even death. We talked several times about abandoning the project, but Tim was insistent and Angie was completely onboard. He felt strongly that it was something he was called to do, but I argued with him until the time of our surgery. He just smiled at me. I found out later that he offered a kidney to his father (my brother) but he was too ill to do a transplant. Tim considered me an excellent choice.

My earliest memory of Tim is when brother Bob and family came to visit us in Stanford, Illinois. We had a ball and I just fell in love with Bob’s kids – especially Tim. We were two peas in a pod. Until it came time to leave. All the junk that must be hauled around to travel with four kids was loaded up, the kids were rounded and separated from our four and strapped in for the ride. The “Goodbyes” and the “I love yous” were exchanged. All but Tim saying goodbye to me. The more his parents insisted, the more he smiled and dug in. Finally, he was declared the winner of that battle and they pulled out. Just as they turned the corner, from the open rear window came Tim’s lilting voice: “So long fat boy.” I laughed until I cried. I have a feeling he cried later for a different, but related reason. Years later we had T-shirts printed – SO LONG FAT BOY. It’s not hard to stay humble in our family.

Before the transplant, Tim and I had the opportunity to reconnect. We spent time on
TEAM McCONNELL
the phone, texting and we visited twice; once when he came to Cincinnati for pre-surgery tests and interviews and for the surgery. He had grown up to be much like my brother in the early years of his life. Like Bob, Tim is good looking and intelligent with a sharp sense of humor and pleasant personality. He is both interesting and fun to be around.

Transplant day finally arrived; June 12, 2018. With the bonds of kinship, mutual respect, and love, we headed off to surgery.

Copyright © 2019, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved


Bill McConnell is the Interim Minister and is a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press. He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ https://www.amazon.com/William-T.-McConnell/e/B001JSBRXG/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

No comments: