Thursday, June 22, 2017

A Note from the Techer

In my opinion, it takes a rare breed to be a teacher. I know I couldn’t do it. Give me a kid one-on-one and I have a blast. I love kids… one at a time. Give me a room full of kids and I am a lost ball in the high weeds. The only way I could control that crowd would be with a net and a taser. I would just as soon try to herd cats. Tutor – yes. Mentor – yes. Classroom teacher – absolutely not.

I have several educators in my family and they are excellent at their work. I deeply admire them. My older sister, Kayce, worked in more than one school system. Kae is one of those people who could make friends with a post. So, she had (and has) several teacher type friends. Each year for several years, she would host a Christmas party for the teachers in her school at my mother’s house. Even though I wasn’t invited, I made it a point to attend. I just liked to watch the show.

To help the conversation flow, Kayce would set up card tables so the guests could sit in groups of four. Mother provided an amazingly delicious meal. Once served, I just sat back in the corner and watched the show. It was, from my perspective, hilarious. After just a few minutes, the conversations at every table started sounding eerily similar.

Everyone was talking at once. Everyone was “in charge” of the conversation. And they were all grading each other. By that, I mean, they were telling each other what the other should do to… be a better teacher; lose weight; eat more healthily; spend their money wisely; deal with their spouse; get their hair cut; where to go grocery shopping; address health issues, and on it went. Now I am not saying teachers are bossy, but…

I have been thinking about teachers because, last week, for the first time in over five decades, I received a note from the teacher. I am sure my experience is not unusual in that getting a note from the teacher was rarely a pleasant, positive experience. This one was.

One of the members of the church I serve who is very regular in attendance announced to me that she would be missing worship for a couple of weeks. I, jokingly, told her that I would require a note to excuse her absence. Two weeks later she shows up with a note. A note from her daughter who is a teacher. It said: “Dear Dr. McConnell, please excuse Janet Helterbridle from attending all church related activities for the past 2 weeks. She was performing, multiple, very important, voluntary duties throughout the Crystal Lake Community. (i.e. her daughter’s house and place of employment.) We are sad to see her hard working skills go but know she is excited to resume her commitments at Norwood Christian Church. Please take good care of her (We almost didn’t allow her to return)! Love, Mrs. Olson (Janet’s daughter)”

First, I smiled. Then I chuckled. I just love teachers.

Copyright © 2016, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved

Bill McConnell is the Interim Minister at Norwood Christian Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, and is a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press. He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ Amazon

No comments: