Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Christmas Story with a Disco Ball


People love doing youth ministry because kids are so much fun. They see things from a different viewpoint, with fresh eyes and a new perspective.
This past Sunday in the Sanctuary worship service (Read formal and high church) the children’s and youth choirs sang. They were great. They even did a different kind of call to worship using drums. On their way off the platform they walked past me. Each one looked at me and smiled. A couple of them had something to say. The first two boys looked me in the eye and said, “Boy, I’m glad that’s over.” I knew exactly how they felt. One little girl paused to fan herself announce that she was hot. The last girl in the row stopped and looked me over sitting there in my white robe with red trim, smiled and said, “Nice outfit.” I cracked up and had a difficult time getting it together to preach.
Tonight is Christmas Eve. At Lindenwood we have three Christmas Eve worship services. The family worship was at 5:15 in the Chapel, the contemporary service at 7:00 (It was moving and beautiful) and traditional at 11:00 (That one is still to come.) The kids and youth leaders were in charge of the first service. They were nice enough to invite me to do the benediction. I was the token preacher. They didn’t want to hurt the Senior Minister’s feelings. Two things happened to alert me to the fact that this was not going to be your “normal” Christmas play. First of all, when I entered the Chapel I noticed a disco ball hanging from the ceiling. Hum. Then I received my instructions. My cue to stand up and do the benediction was when the music for the song, “We Are Family” was turned down. Hum. Something’s up.
The service was great and the nativity play was awesome. It was written, produced and directed by one of our lay youth leaders, Kris Walden. She is way beyond creative. And she loves kids. She is a treasure. So she puts the play together, following the Biblical story, with a mix of old and newer rock songs that provided musical dialogue for the cast. It was a modern musical. The songs were meaningful, funny, exciting and engaging. The costumes were wonderful and the children did a great job. Some of the older kids even ran the sound and lights. I don’t think I have ever enjoyed a children’s Christmas play more. I have no doubt that it will win The People's Choice Award for "Funkiest Christmas Play" of 2014.
Oh, yes, the disco ball. It played the part of the Christmas star and was smashing in the role.
Copyright © 2014, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved


Bill McConnell is Senior Minister at Lindenwood Christian Church in Memphis, Tennessee and is a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press.

He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @billmc45053 or visit his Amazon Author Page @ Amazon

No comments: