Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Organic or Not


A few weeks ago a new grocery store opened up down the street. As is par for the course, the parking lot was packed for several days as the locals checked out what this particular store has that makes it unique. Its big selling point is that it has a wide choice of organic food.
Organic food – I just love that new and popular designation of special foods that are supposed to be raised properly and thus be good for us, the consumers. Ever since I first heard the term, my question has always been; what is inorganic food? I thought all food was organic. Sure, my mom had some wax fruit on permanent display on the dining room. We didn’t eat it because we knew it was inorganic fruit. As in, not real fruit.
Oh, sure, I get it that organic food is supposed to be better for the consumer. I will also admit that I doubt that it is. In my short lifetime little that has been promised has been delivered. Some people would say I am a cynic but I believe I am just a realist. After a lifetime of hearing the latest truth being uncovered through the newest and best research and then later having those scientific facts debunked by the some newer and better research which was, in turn, proven to be wrong and then going back to the original premise as correct, I am done with that crap. In my lifetime milk was good for you; bad for you; good for you; now it is again bad for you. Really?
But why the use the term organic for a certain type of food? That is like calling some beef organic beef or some humans organic humans. We are all organic. You know, made out of carbon atoms. The dictionary definition is: “of, relating to, or containing carbon compounds: relating to, being, or dealt with by a branch of chemistry concerned with the carbon compounds of living beings and most other carbon compounds: having the characteristics of an organism : developing in the manner of a living plant or animal.”
It seems the definition for “Organic” is already taken. How about trying something else? Couldn’t those excited about “organic” think of a more appropriate term. According to my research (I Goggled it.) the term organic in meaning a type of farming has been around a while. “In 1939, Lord Northbourne coined the term organic farming in his book Look to the Land (1940), out of his conception of "the farm as organism," to describe a holistic, ecologically balanced approach to farming—in contrast to what he called chemical farming, which relied on "imported fertility" and "cannot be self-sufficient nor an organic whole."
Over the past sixty plus years I have tended many a garden. I have done the “holistic” all natural approach and I have been reduced to using chemicals. And I must be candid with you: when concerned with what effect what I spread on my vegetables has on my body, I am more comfortable with a white powder than I am with cow crap. I have seen the cows. I have scooped the manure – which means I have seen it close up and smelled it in a confined space – and I am less inclined to put the green beans that have been fertilized with cow dung in my mouth than beans that have been dusted with some white powder.
I realize I am not of the genre of people who are attracted to “Organic foods.” I have butchered chickens, cows and pigs so I realize they don’t come from the farm clean and wrapped in clear plastic. I have personally raised corn, beans, lettuce, radishes, potatoes and tomatoes and know how challenging it can be to nurture them and keep the insects and diseases off of them. I also have been around long enough to know that everything that is labeled “organic” is not necessarily really organic. Look for the USDA seal.
Are organic foods better for you? That is still up for discussion. In an article from the Mayo Clinic that is pro organic food the authors write: “Organic food: Is it more nutritious? Probably not, but the answer isn't yet clear. A recent study examined the past 50 years' worth of scientific articles about the nutrient content of organic and conventional foods. The researchers concluded that organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs are not significantly different in their nutrient content.”
The other question is: Is organic farming better for the environment? One would think so but the jury is still out on this, too. One of the differences between those who farm organically and those who don’t is the types of pesticides they use. Both do use pesticides. There is an interesting article on the subject here.
But may I suggest a better label for “organic foods.” Since they are produced with natural fertilizers, how about the label “Poopie foods.” It may not attract as many health conscious middle class Americans, but it sounds a bit more honest.

Copyright © 2014, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved


Bill McConnell is Senior Minister at Lindenwood Christian Church in Memphis, Tennessee and is a Church Transformation consultant and a Christian Leadership Coach. He is a frequent speaker at Church Transformation events. His latest book on church transformation is DEVELOPING A SIGNIFICANT CHURCH and is available at Westbow Press. He can be contacted @ bill45053@gmail.com. Connect with him on Facebook @ William T. McConnell or on Twitter @bill45053.

No comments: