Monday, September 8, 2014

Why I Love the Church


Let me begin by telling the reader that I love the church. I say that often because I am a critic of the church and my criticism could give the impression that I don’t like the church. I love it but know it could be better. One of the most often repeated comments about the church of our culture is something to the effect of, “I like Jesus but I don’t like his church.” A more honest rendition of this sentiment would be, “I like Jesus and his church; I just don’t like the people who populate it.”
Supposedly Mahatma Gandhi put it like this: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." That is a great quote to address the hypocrisy of those of us who populate the church. Unfortunately I feel Gandhi didn’t know what he was talking about. I think that because, if he had known and understood the Jesus that is so clearly shown through Scripture, he wouldn’t just like him. He would fall at his feet and proclaim Jesus Lord of his life. Gandhi, like many people, knew something about Jesus but failed to really know and understand who Jesus really is. The theoretical, held at arm’s length, historical character Jesus is easy to like. His teachings are brilliant. His message is engaging. But when Jesus held up close and personal, when Jesus is known, he must be loved, worshiped, followed and obeyed. Liking Jesus is just appallingly inadequate.
Any group, made up of real people, is going to be problematic. People are people and human nature is human nature. Thus, the church WILL pretty consistently fail to be what it is called to be. But that should never stop the church from continuing to seek to be what it is called to be – The Body of Christ – the physical representation of Christ to this generation. The problem with the church has been and always will be the people. Just as Scripture says, human beings are flawed, fallen and sinful. To expect us to be otherwise is ludicrous. And I believe to reject the church because the people of the church do things you don’t like or approve of is disingenuous.
I fully realize that some of the people of the church, and sometimes entire churches, can be narrow-minded and judgmental. That is one of the most obvious criticisms those outside of the church have of the church. But, some of the most critical, judgmental, and narrow-minded people I have encountered have no interest in Christ and no affiliation with the church. That is not an excuse for the poor behavior of Christians. It is just an observation that glass houses and stones are involved in this discussion.
I love the church for several reasons. Allow me to share some of those with the reader.
  • The church was Jesus’ idea. I’m a little uncomfortable criticizing and second guessing Jesus.
  • The church allows people like me in.
  • The church will allow people like you in.
  • The church is God’s method of spreading the Good News of His love and mercy and forgiveness.
  • The church is the place where I can fail – fall flat on my face – and they will love me anyway. They will pick me up, brush me off and get me going in the right direction again. Not all churches will do this, but mine will.
  • The church is where I can ask my dumb questions and they will help me find answers.
  • The church provides the place, the tools and the atmosphere where I can most effectively grow spiritually.
  • The church provides me multiple opportunities to do mission work and impact my community in positive ways.
  • Finally - Jesus called the church his Bride. I’m thinking he loves the church. When was the last time you told a friend, “I like you but I can’t stand your wife?” Where I come from those are fighting words. I guess if the church is good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for me.
The church is far from perfect and always will be as long as people are involved. But the church is God’s idea and plan. Christianity (and Christians and the church) will always be easy to criticize and difficult to live and be. But it is what God has called us to be and do. So let’s just slog along, doing the best we can and continue to pray God has his way in our lives and in our churches.
“If you should find the perfect church: Without one fault or smear, For goodness sake, don't join that church; You'd spoil the atmosphere.”1
1 “The Perfect Church” by Mavis Williams
Copyright © 2014, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved

No comments: