Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Little Bit Scroogy

I get called names. Lots of names. Many of them I deserve. Some of them I don't. Some of the names I am most often called are names like: Grumpy, Grouchy, Cynic, and, around this time of year, Scrooge. I don't really mind being labeled in this way, but I will say, in my defense, I think these names are misnomers.

My take on things is that I just tell the truth. And telling the truth is such a foreign concept, such an unusual occurrence, that people are bumbfuzzled by my behavior and don't know how to take it. Instead of being received as just the truth, they interpret it as being mean and cynical. We are so used to never ending happy talk, people splashing sunshine around like a nice coat of pretend will solve our problems, sticking "smiley faces" on mediocre work, giving every participant a trophy, leaving no child behind (whatever that really means?), always looking for a more pleasant word to describe an unpleasant reality, that the truth, when occasionally spoken, comes across like fingernails on a chalkboard. We have gotten to the place as a culture that, as Col. Nathan R. Jessep in the movie "A Few Good Men" said, we can't handle the truth.

When I occasionally speak the truth into someone's life, instead of hearing, "Thanks, I needed to hear that," I usually hear some whinny crap about me being mean. Fact is, if I didn't care, I wouldn't say anything. It is a loving and caring nature that moves me to speak the truth to those around me. Really.

Even though it will be called being Scroogy, I will speak some truth about Christmas. I love Christmas. I love the fact that God chose such an off the wall, bet you won't get this, unexpected way to show up in the world. A baby born to an unwed teenage mother in a dusty little burg located near the epicenter of nowhere and announced to nobody but a rag tag bunch of shepherds. I love it that almighty God, creator of the universe chose to show up in His creation as a baby – Sweet! That our amazing God understood our inability to understand Him and grasp the truth of His love and grace, was willing to become one of us just so we could know Him and experience his love and grace – I love it!

There are some things about how we "do" Christmas that I really enjoy. Things like hanging with friends and family, talking with people about what an amazing God we know, giving gifts and going to parties. I love the decorations – up to a point.

But there are also bunches of things I hate about how we "do" Christmas around here. Things like: going into debt to buy a bunch of stuff nobody really needs; running from place to place and obligation to obligation until we are frustrated, angry and exhausted; going to worship because we are supposed to instead of because we get to; decorating the stores and putting the Christmas items out immediately following Halloween; the radio stations that begin playing Christmas music 24/7 on Thanksgiving Day; the incessant commercials on television telling us what we must purchase to make this Christmas meaningful for those whom we love; cartoon character yard decorations.

I am not that crazy about Christmas. Not because I don't like Christmas. I love Christmas. I just don't like what we have done to Christmas. Perhaps I am being a bit too religious here, but I resent anything that takes away from, anything that clouds the truth that, anything that diverts our attention from the reality that God did an awesome thing when He showed up here on earth in the form of a child to let us know how profoundly He loves us.

So, in an effort to seem a bit less Scroogy, let me tell you more of what I like about Christmas. I like singing Christmas Carols to our shut-ins. I like preparing gifts and food baskets for the families in our community that could use a little help this time of year. I love hanging out with friends and family. I love watching the grandchildren playing with their cousins. I love worshiping with my church family. I enjoy going through the Christmas cards one last time before tossing them. There is nothing like the feeling of sweet accomplishment when the last gift is wrapped. Best of all, I love sitting at the dinner table surrounded by my children and their children enjoying stimulating conversation and lots of laughs.

There you have it. My Scroogy take on Christmas. I pray you have a wonderful Christmas filled with God's amazing love and grace.

Copyright © 2009, William T. McConnell, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for putting in writing how I have felt for YEARS about the Christmas Season. I, too, have been accused of being a Mrs. Scrooge.

Finally somebody who gets it!